As a school, we aim to increase environmental awareness and help safeguard the planet. We try to instil in pupils a global outlook and sense of responsibility for the world around them, from reducing single-use plastic to tackling fast-fashion, recycling, and brainstorming green initiatives that will make a difference to Sandroyd, our local communities, and the environment for years to come.
- We were kindly donated drink water fountains by Common Seas enabling us to use cups or refillable water bottles and eliminate the need for single-use plastics. The fountains also cleverly tell us how many plastic bottles we have saved – 50,000 to date
- As a school, we offer three minibus routes to encourage shared transport
- Since 2018 we have installed a number of solar PV array panels on our sports hall roof, saving over 40,000kgs of carbon, which is the equivalent of planting 1,800 trees and providing 20% of the school's electricity
- We have a biomass boiler, whilst also looking for another renewable heat source for the portion of the school not covered
- During 2023 we have had a water borehole dug (120m deep) to serve the school's almost entire water needs
- All garden waste is composted
- We have installed LED lighting throughout the school to reduce our electricity consumption.
- We invest in upgrades to doors and windows to help reduce heat loss.